Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Yorkshire

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Glasshoughton and Castleford:

  • Yorkshire Sheet 234.11 Castleford (South) 1905 - published 2017; intro by Alan Godfrey. ISBN.978-1-78721-052-3

    This detailed map covers the southern part of Castleford, including the station, together with Glasshoughton.

    Features include NER railway with station, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway with its station (later renamed Cutsyke), All Saints church Hightown, cricket ground, Half Acres, Theatre Royal, Beancroft area, Smawthorne area, Perseverance Brewery, St Joseph's RC church, Castleford Bottle Works, Aire & Calder Bottle Works, tramway (partly built), Queen's Park, Red Hill, St Paul's church, Glasshoughton village, Glashoughton Colliery with sidings etc, Old Corpse Road, Round Hill area, various potteries, Cutsyke, NER Cutsyke Branch etc.

    The map links up with sheet 234.07 Castleford to the north.

    Further information:

    Castleford has a history dating back to the Romans, when a fort and community known as Legeolium was established here, though its days of importance were short-lived. More recently it became an important pottery and glassworking town; the Castleford Pottery was set up by David Dunderdale Snr in the late 18th century and developed by his son as David Dunderdale & Co, making 'fine Queen's Ware and Black Egyptian ceramics'. Later still it became a major coalmining centre and this map extends southward to Glasshoughton and the large Glasshoughton (or Glass Houghton) colliery, which had a workforce of 1,436 men and boys by 1902, and some 3,800 by 1923, 3,058 of them working beneath ground. Long streets of terraced housing were built just south of the station to house these miners, and it was in this area that the sculptor Henry Moore was brought up. Castleford had a somewhat unsuccessful tram system, as well as two railway stations, both shown on this map. The town also had its theatres and in 1907 a young Arthur Stanley Jefferson made one of his first performances, in Sleeping Beauty, before travelling to America and changing his name to Stan Laurel.

  • A selection of photos taken during the research for this map. Click on the thumbnails for larger images:


  • Here is a small extract from the Castleford South 1905 map:

  • Each map includes a specially written essay about the area. Here is a short extract from the introduction to the Castleford South 1905 map:

    "Returning to Hightown, the Savile Park cricket ground was acquired on a lease in 1902, earlier matches having played on Smawthorne Lane, on the land shown as under development around St Nicholas Street and the Smawthorne Hotel. Savile Park has hosted numerous Yorkshire 2nd XI matches and a couple of List A matches. A Gillette Cup match was hurriedly staged here in May 1967, after heavy rain ruled out both Headingley and Bradford. The weather followed the teams to Castleford where the game, against Cambridgeshire, was reduced to ten overs apiece; the visitors made 43 for 8 and Yorkshire won with ease. A second List A game was played in May 2000 when the touring Zimbabweans defeated an MCC team. Castleford have themselves produced several fine players, including more recently that fine all-rounder Tim Bresnan, but 1905 was not their finest year. They came bottom of the Yorkshire Cricket Council, having won just the one game, and ending with minus eleven points.

  • You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
  • Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. Follow this link for a complete list of our Wakefield maps; or here for the whole Yorkshire series.
    Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 24 January 2018