Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Moray or Elginshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Moray since 1890.
Morayshire was one of Scotland's historic counties in 1890.
In 1890 enclaves and exclaves (detached areas) were abolished, with two large exclaves of Moray in Inverness-shire
becoming part of Inverness-shire, while a large enclave of Inverness-shire within Moray was transferred to Moray.
At the same time Moray was renamed Elginshire.
In 1890 Moray had the following burghs: Elgin (royal burgh), Forres (royal burgh), Lossiemouth & Branderburgh, Rothes. Grantown-on-Spey was confirmed as a burgh in 1898 and Burghead in 1900.
In 1930 the name of the county was changed to Moray, or County of Moray. It has sometimes been called Morayshire for clarity..
In 1975 there was major reorganisation as the counties were abolished and replaced by 12 Regions. Moray was merged with Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire,
Banddshire and Kincardineshire to become the new Grampian Region.
This was a two-tier administration with five Districts: City of Aberdeen, Banff & Buchan, Gordon, Kincardine & Deeside, and Moray. However, Moray District was larger than
the earlier county as it took over part of Banffshire, including Dufftown and Keith.
In 1996 there was further reorganisation as the Regions and Districts were abolished and replaced by 32 unitary councils. Grampian Region was abolished. Moray District became a unitary council.
For a list of maps go to the Moray or Elginshire page.
For a full list of Scottish maps, return to the Scotland page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / firstname.lastname@example.org / 17 January 2018