Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Tameside MBC

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Denton (West):

  • Lancs 105.13a Denton (West) & Gorton Bridge 1891 - published 2018; intro by Chris Makepeace. ISBN.978-1-78721-125-4
  • Lancs 105.13b Denton (West) 1916 - published 1996; intro by Jill Cronin. ISBN.978-0-85054-835-8
  • Lancs 105.13c Denton (West) & Gorton Bridge 1934 - published 2017; intro by Alan Godfrey. ISBN.978-1-78721-079-0

    We have published three versions of this map, showing how the area changed across the years. The 1891 version is in full colour, taken from the beautiful OS 1st edition handcoloured map.

    The maps cover the western part of Denton and the eastern part of Gorton around Gorton Bridge. A small portion of Reddish is also included.

    Features include Brook Green, Gorton Bridge, tramways, Debdale Park or recreation ground, Gorton Lower Reservoir, Gorton Upper Reservoir, Audenshaw Reservoir Nr.2, Gorton House, St Agnes church Reddish, short stretch of GCR or LNER railway with Hyde Road Junction, stretch of Stockport & Guide Bridge line with Denton station, Lancashire Felt Works, Denton Golf Course, etc.

    The map links up with Lancashire Sheets 105.09 Audenshaw to the north, 104.16 Gorton to the west, 105.14 Denton to the east, 112.01 North Reddish to the south.


    Further information:

    This map takes us to the edge of Manchester, with Gorton House and Debden Park, and also includes sections of Denton and Audenshaw, both of them urban districts from 1894 until 1974. The Denton area is notable for the large Lancashire Felt Works and also for Denton station, latterly infamous for the country's worst train service. Large sections of the Audenshaw Reservoirs fill much of the Audenshaw area, but further west are the Gorton Reservoirs, now major features of Debdale Park, in which stands Gorton House, probably built for a local mill owner, Robert Grimshaw, in the 1780s, and later used as a school for young ladies, but struggling for a proper use ever since.

  • A selection of photos taken during the research for this map. Click on the thumbnails for larger images:

    .

  • Here is a small extract from the West Denton 1891 map:

  • Each map includes a specially written essay about the area. Here is a short extract from the introduction to the West Denton 1934 map:

    "Connecting these communities were the tracks of Manchester Corporation Tramways, notably with routes 19, from Manchester Victoria St to Denton and Hyde, and 32, from Manchester to the Bullís Head, the landmark Reddish pub near the junction of Gorton Road and Thornley Lane (here the P.H. just across from a P.C.B. or Police Call Box). The pub is today used as a vacuum cleaner service base, but retains its distinctive presence. Manchesterís trams had earlier continued on to Reddish Vale Road but had been cut back in 1932. Stockportís trams also came up Gorton Road to the Bullís Head, and it was here, in 1942, that a petite conductress was hoisted high into the air by her trolley rope, injuring herself when she fell, an incident that led to smaller women being confined to the buses. At the junction of Denton, Gorton and Reddish, this remains a natural bus terminus."


  • Follow this link for a complete list of our Tameside or Manchester maps.
  • You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
  • Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for the North West, return to the North West page.
    The Godfrey Edition / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 23 February 2018