Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Haddingtonshire and East Lothian
This page summarises the local government organisation of East Lothian since 1890.
The County of Haddington or Haddingtonshire was one of 34 Scottish counties in 1890
and was unchanged by the reorganisations of that year which reduced the number to 33.
In 1890 Haddingtonshire had the following Burghs: Dunbar (royal burgh), Haddington (royal burgh), North Berwick (royal burgh),
Cockenzie & Port Seton, East Linton, Prestonpans, Tranent.
In 1921 the name of the county was changed to East Lothian. There were a few minor boundary changes.
In 1975 there was major reorganisation as the counties were abolished and replaced by 12 Regions. East Lothian was merged with Edinburgh, West Lothian
(formerly Linlithgowshire) and Midlothian (foremerly Edinburghshire), forming a new Lothian Region.
Beneath the region in a two-tier structure were 4 Districts: City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, West Lothian.
Musselburgh and Inveresk, formerly in Midlothian, were transferred to the East Lothian District.
In 1996 there was further reorganisation as the Regions were abolished and replaced by 32 Unitary councils. City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian all became unitary councils.
The headquarters of East Lothian is in Haddington.
For a list of Edinburgh and Midlothian maps go to the Edinburgh page. For a full list of Scottish maps, return to the Scotland page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / email@example.com / 24 October 2016