Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Edinburgh & Midlothian
This page summarises the local government organisation of Edinburgh and Midlothian since 1890.
The County of Edinburgh or Edinburghshire was one of 33 Scottish counties in 1890.
The city of Edinburgh was a County of a City and so independent of the County Council.
In 1921 the name of the county was changed to Midlothian. There were a few minor boundary changes.
In 1890 Edinburgh had the following Burghs: Edinburgh (a royal burgh), Bonnyrigg, Dalkeith, Lasswade, Leith, Loanhead, Musselburgh, Penicuik, Portobello. Portobello burgh was absorbed by
Edinburgh in 1896. Leith burgh was absorbed by Edinburgh in 1920. Bonnyrigg and Lasswade were merged as Bonnyrigg & Lasswade burgh in 1929.
In 1975 there was major reorganisation as the counties were abolished and replaced by 12 Regions. Midlothian was merged with West Lothian (formerly Linlithgowshire) and East Lothian (formerly
Haddingtonshire), forming a new Lothian Region.
Beneath the region in a two-tier structure were 4 Districts: City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, West Lothian. Midlothian was thus now split into two districts.
Moreover Musselburgh was transferred to East Lothian District, and the southern part of Midlothian was transferred to Scottish Borders.
South Queensferry, formerly in West Lothian, was transferred to the City of Edinburgh District.
In 1996 there was further reorganisation as the Regions were abolished and replaced by 32 Unitary councils. City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian all became unitary councils.
The headquarters of Midlothian is in Dalkeith.
For a list of Edinburgh and Midlothian maps go to the Edinburgh page. For a full list of Scottish maps, return to the Scotland page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / firstname.lastname@example.org / 24 October 2016