Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Linlithgow or West Lothian

This page summarises the local government organisation of Linlithgowshire and West Lothian since 1890.

  • Linlithgowshire was one of Scotland's 34 historic counties before 1890. Reorganisation into 33 counties had little affect on the county.
  • In 1921 the name of the county was changed to West Lothian.
  • In 1890 Linlithgowshire had the following Burghs: Linlithgow (a royal burgh), Queensferry (a royal burgh), Armadale, Bathgate, Bo'ness, Whitburn.
  • In 1975 there was major reorganisation as the counties were abolished and replaced by 12 Regions. West Lothian was amalgamated with Midlothian and East Lothian (formerly Haddingtonshire), forming a new Lothian Region.
  • Beneath the region in a two-tier structure were 4 Districts: City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, West Lothian.
  • South Queensferry, formerly in West Lothian, was transferred to the City of Edinburgh District, and Bo'ness was transferred to Falkirk District in Central Region.
  • In 1996 there was further reorganisation as the Regions were abolished and replaced by 32 Unitary councils. City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian all became unitary councils.
  • For a list of West Lothian maps go to the Linlithgowshire page. For a full list of Scottish maps, return to the Scotland page
  • You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
    Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
    Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
    The Godfrey Edition / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 24 October 2016