Here are the details of maps for Houghton le Spring:
We have published two versions of this map, showing how the area changed across the years. The 1856 version is in full colour, taken from the 1st Edition OS handcolooured map.
The maps cover the town of Houghton le Spring, and an area a mile or so north and east. Most of the town centre is shown, including Workhouse, Market Place, New Town, Church Street, St Michael's church, Kepier Grammar School, Newbottle Street, Sunderland Street, cemetery, Houghton Hill, Houghton Pit; beyond this the map is largely rural, but features include the three rows of houses at Sunniside, Over the Hill Farm, and Middle Haining. On the reverse we include a directory of Houghton from Whelan's Directory. Houghton has an ancient history, but it was in the 19th century that it grew, around the pit, the population rising from 996 in 1801 to 7,858 a century later.
The map links up with Sheet 13.12 Newbottle to the north, 20.04 Hetton Downs to the south.