Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Cumberland

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Cockermouth:

  • Cumberland 54.04a Cockermouth 1898 - published 1990; intro by Alan Godfrey. ISBN.978-0-85054-387-2
  • Cumberland 54.04b Cockermouth 1923 - published 2022; intro by Sarah Lee. ISBN.978-1-78721-523-8

    We have published two versions of this map, showing how the area changed across the years. The maps are double-sided for maximum coverage.

    The maps cover the town centre, with coverage extending northward to Belle Vue and Hamesbottom Wood, and from Derwent Lodge and The Fitz eastward to St Helen's Tannery.

    Features include Hames Hall, Goatmill Bridge, Derwent Mills, River Derwent, Cockermouth Castle, Goat area, Fitz Mill, town centre with individual buildings neatly shown, Agricultural Hall, railway with goods station, Workhouse, Main Street area, All Saints church, Drill Hall, Castle Brewery etc.

    On the reverse of each map we include part of adjacent sheet 54.08 extending coverage southward to include railway station, Atlas Works, cemetery, Tanneries, Double Mills, golf course, Rubbybanks Mill, The Moor, River Cocker.

  • Follow this link for a complete list of our Cumberland Series maps. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
  • Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for England, return to the England page.
    Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 2 April 2022