Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Yorkshire

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Normanton:

  • Yorkshire Sheet 234.13 Normanton 1906 - published 1997; intro by John Goodchild. ISBN.978-0-85054-893-8

    This detailed map covers the West Riding town of Normanton, together with part of the village of Altofts and the hamlet of Calverley Green. The coming of the railway turned Normanton from an agricultural village into an industrial town; the town became an early railway junction, and until the 1890s (and the introduction of corridor trains) Anglo-Scottish trains stopped here for a half hour meal break. The railway runs through this map and, not surprisingly, the station and its surrounding marshalling yards are a major feature. To the east is the town of Normanton, including All Saints church, gas works, Mount Pleasant, Hall Croft, Market Place, High Street, tramway, Haw Hill Park, smallpox hospital, Hanson House, cemetery; coverage extends east to Benson Lane. West of the railway are Altofts Hall, Calverley Green, and part of Altofts itself including St Mary's church, cemetery, Lockes Row, Ship Inn. Directories of Normanton and Altofts are included on the reverse.


    You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.


    Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. Follow this link for a complete list of our Wakefield maps; or here for the whole Yorkshire series.

    Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 20 Sept 2016