Old Ordnance Survey Maps of County Durham

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Wylam:

  • Co Durham Sheet 1.11 Wylam & Clara Vale 1895 - published 1999; intro by John Griffiths. ISBN.978-1-84151-058-3

    To provide maximum coverage of this area we have used both the Northumberland and Durham sheets for Wylam, which stands on the border between the two counties. Our main map is from the Durham series and coverage stretches from Wylkam village eastward to the pit village of Clara Vale. Coverage extends about half a mile north, including Wylam Rift, and southward to Bradley Mill House. Features include Wylam Bridge, Wylam and North Wylam stations, the Stephenson Arms; the latter is a reminder that George Stephenson was born here, at the High Streethouse cottages. Also shown is Claravale Colliery. On the reverse we include about half of Northumberland sheet 96.06. There is considerable overlap between the two maps, but this one takes coverage further west, to Wylam Hall and West Wylam Junction.

    The map connects with sheet 1.12 Ryton to the east.


  • Follow these links for lists of our Co Durham, Gateshead or Sunderland maps.
  • You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
  • For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
  • Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for the North East, return to the North East page.
    Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 14 Sept 2016