Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Warwickshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Warwickshire since 1889.
Warwickshire County Council was formed in 1889, and in 1894 a network of boroughs, urban district
and rural district councils was formed across the county. However the growth of Birmingham meant that extensive parts of Warwickshire were eventually transferred to a new West Midlands county.
The geographical county of Warwickshire had three Municipal Boroughs dating back to 1836 (or earlier): Coventry, Straford-on-Avon, and Warwick. Birmingham became a Municipal Borough in 1838,
Royal Leamington Spa in 1875, Sutton Coldfield in 1885, Aston Manor in 1903, Nuneaton in 1907, Rugby in 1932, and Solihull in 1954.
Birmingham and Coventry became County Boroughs in 1889, and Solihull in 1964. Aston Manor MB was absorbed by Birmingham CB in 1911.
From 1894 there were also 6 Urban District Councils: Aston Manor, Bulkington, Erdington, Kenilworth, Nuneaton & Chilvers Cotton, and Rugby Urban Districts.
Two further Urban Districts were created, Bedworth in 1928, Solihull in 1932. Urban Districts had similar powers to Municipal Boroughs but lacked the right to elect mayors or aldermen.
Aston Manor UDC became a Municipal Borough in 1903 and Rugby in 1932. Erdington UDC was absorbed by Birmingham CB in 1911. Bulkington UDC was absorbed by Rugby MB in 1932.
From 1894 there were also 17 Rural District Councils covering the areas outside the major towns, but these had less powers. Initially most RDCs were based on the Unions, met at the Workhouse, and had the Guardians serving as councillors.
These were: Alcester, Atherstone, Brailes, Castle Bromwich, Coventry, Farnborough, Foleshill, Meriden, Monks Kirby, Nuneaton, Rugby, Shipston on Stour*,
Solihull, Southam*, Stratford-on-Avon, Tamworth*, and Warwick RDCs. Those marked * included sections of adjacent counties.
Over the years the following RDCs were abolished and absorbed by adjacent councils: Castle Bromwich (1912); Coventry (1928); Brailes (1931);
Farnborough, Foleshill, Monks Kirby, Nuneaton (all 1932); Tamworth (1965).
In 1974 there was major reorganisation and all boroughs, UDCs and RDCs were abolished. Birmingham CB, Coventry CB, Solihull CB, and Sutton Coldfield MB were transferred to the new West Midlands county, and
Sutton Coldfield was absorbed by Birmingham.
In 1986 the West Midlands county was abolished as an administrative area, and Birmingham, Coventry and Solihull became unitary authorities. However, the West Midlands county retained a ceremonial role, so these
authorities did not return to Warwickshire.
The remainder of Warwickshire became a 2-tiered authority with a county council and five districts. These were North Warwickshire, Nuneaton & Bedworth, Rugby, Stratford-on-Avon, and Warwick. Warwick had absorbed Kenilworth and Leamington Spa.
For a list of Warwickshire and Coventry maps go to the Warwickshire page or for Birmingham to the Birmingham pages. For a full but simplified list of West Midlands maps, go to the West Midlands page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / firstname.lastname@example.org / 21 November 2017