Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Essex

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Stansted:

  • Essex Sheet 23.15 Stansted Mountfichet 1921 - published 2006; intro by Pamela Taylor. ISBN 978-1-84151-925-1

    This double-sided map shows Stansted Mountfichet as it was in 1921 with great detail, featuring individual houses, the remains of the castle, St John's and St Mary's Parish Churches, Chapel of Our Lady, Stansted Park, Stansted House, Hargrave Park, Bentfield End, Castle Hill, Rochford's Nurseries with tramway. St Mary's church has the tomb of Sir Thomas Middleton, who was at some point Lord Mayor of London, and his daughter. A prominent feature of this map is the Great Eastern Railway - the Cambridge Main Line - that stretches right across the map, with station. This rail line resulted in a slow growth of Stansted's population, adding to the existing half-timbered buildings. The brewery which existed between 1887 and 1925 is evident on this map on Brewery Lane near Croft House. Stansted benefitted economically from the Cambridge Road that runs through it, bringing wealth to the town which is also evident in the polo and golf sports available to the community.


  • Follow this link for a list of our maps for Essex or here for a general list for East Anglia.
  • You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.

    Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for England, return to the England page.

    Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 25 November 2017