Here are the details of maps for Handsworth (West):
We have published two versions of this detailed map, which covers the eastern part of West Bromwich and western part of Handsworth, with the area known as The Hawthorns in the centre. Coverage stretches from Roebuck Lane eastward to Booth Street.
Features on the 1886 map include GWR railway with Handsworth Junction, Handsworth & Smethwick station and portion of Stourbridge extension line; tramway, Railway Carriage Works, Sandwell Place, Phoenix Bolt Works, St James church Handsworth, Sandwell Park Colliery, Galton Junction, St Stephen's Mission Room, Belle Vue Brewery etc. Several villas stand in grounds away from the industrial area.
The 1914 version shows a more built-up scene, with many more terraced streets running south of the Holyhead Road. It includes extracts from a 1907 directory for Booth Street, Downing Street, Holyhead Road and Wattville Road, Handsworth.
The map links up with Staffordshire sheets 68.11 Sandwell Hall to the north, 68.14 Oldbury to the west, 72.03 Smethwick to the south and Warwickshire sheet 7.16 Handsworth to the east.
For a full list of maps of local maps, please go to the Birmingham page or to the Sandwell page.
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for England, return to the England page.Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / firstname.lastname@example.org / 10 August 2011