Here are the details of maps for Jedburgh:
We have published two versions of this map, showing how the town changed across the years. The 1859 version is in colour, taken from the rare OS experimental colour-printed map.
Our detailed map of Jedburgh is double-sided to give maximum coverage. The main map covers most of the town, with coverage stretching from Bongate Mill and Old Bongate southward to Inchbonny and Allars Mill. Features include town centre with individual buildings neatly shown, Jedburgh Abbey, Canongate Mill, Allerley Well Park, Lothian Park, castle site, Glenburn Hall, Doom Hill, Tudhope, Townfoot Bridge, Queen Mary's House, Poorhouse, Old Jail etc.
On the reverse we include parts of adjacent sheets 21.01 and 21.02 extending coverage north to include railway station, New Bongate Mill, Jed Water, Hartrigge (1898 map only), Bonjedard House.
Jedburgh, the historic county town of Roxburghshire but only a few miles from the English border, had a predictably troubled history, and the Abbey and town were plundered many times. By 1559, when the English withdrew, the Abbey was in ruins, but part remained in use as a parish church into the 19th century. These ruins are a major feature of the town today, but other important features include the castle-like gaol, which closed in 1886 but has since been converted into a museum. The town was also an important administrative centre, and had many prestigious visitors, including Mary, Queen of Scots. The town declined with the coming of the railways, for it was served only by a minor branch line. Our 1859 map will be of especial interest to map enthusiasts, for it is taken from an early example of Ordnance Survey colour-printing. Only around eight of these colour-printed maps are thought to have been produced, as the OS then concentrated on hand-colouring for its large scale plans, before abandoning colour entirely for this scale.
"...As a small but important administrative town, and one sited on a main route to England, Jedburgh boasts the inevitable story of visitors, though few of them stayed for long: Bonnie Prince Charlie passed through in 1745, and a stone tablet notes his two day stay on Castlegate; Burns paused to call the Jed ‘a fine romantic little river’; Walter Scott appeared as a defence lawyer in 1793; the Wordsworths lodged in Abbey Close during a tour of Scotland in 1803 – and many more. At about the time of this map, in 1857, Queen Victoria visited (did this bring it sufficiently into the limelight for the OS to include it in their colour-printing experiment?). Most famously, the young Mary Queen of Scots came here in 1566 to hold a Circuit Court and is said to have rented (or borrowed) a bastle or fortified house from Lady Ferniehirst for her four week stay. While here she made the rough journey across the moors to visit Lord Bothwell, returning drenched to the skin and ill, the resulting fever bringing her close to death...."