Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburgh or Roxburghshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Roxburghshire since 1890.
Roxburghshire was one of Scotland's 34 historic counties before 1890, having largely taken over the area once known as the
Middle March. In 1890 there was some reorganisation into 33 counties, and Roxburghshire absorbed a former enclave of Selkirkshire. The historic county town is Jedburgh.
In 1890 Roxburghshire had the following Burghs: Jedburgh (a royal burgh), Hawick, Kelso, Melrose. The former royal burgh of Roxburgh was destroyed in the 15th century.
In 1975 there was major reorganisation as the counties were abolished and replaced by 12 Regions. Roxburghshire was amalgamated with Berwickshire, Peeblesshire and Selkirkshire into the new
Scottish Borders Region.
This was a two-tier council, with four districts: Berwickshire, Ettrick & Lauderdale, Roxburgh, and Tweeddale. Roxburgh District largely took over the former
Roxburghshire area, though Melrose was transferred to Ettrick & Lauderdale.
In 1996 there was further reorganisation as the Regions were abolished and replaced by 32 Unitary councils. Scottish Borders became a unitary council and the districts were abolished. Five committee areas were
formed, and the former Roxburgh District area was split between 2 areas, Cheviot and Teviot & Liddesdale.
Jedburgh and Kelso are in Cheviot area, Hawick is in Teviot & Lauderdale area. Melrose, transferred out of Roxburgh in 1975, is now in Eildon area.
For a list of Roxburghshire maps go to the Roxburghshire page. For a full list of Scottish maps, return to the Scotland page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / firstname.lastname@example.org / 6 November 2016