Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Radnorshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Radnorshire since 1889.
Radnorshire County Council was formed in 1889, and in 1894 a network of urban district and rural district councils was formed across the county.
Radnorshire had no municipal boroughs.
From 1894 there were 3 Urban Districts: Knighton, Llandrindod Wells and Presteigne UDCs. Urban Districts had similar powers to boroughs but lacked the
powers to appoint mayors or aldermen.
There were also 5 Rural District Councils covering the areas outside the major towns. These were: Colwyn, Knighton,
New Radnor, Painscastle, and Rhayader RDCs. Rhayader RDC included part of Breconshire until 1934.
In 1974 major reorganisation saw the boroughs, urban and rural districts abolished and Breconshire, Montgomeryshire and Radnorshire became part of a new county, Powys.
This was a 2-tier administration with the three former counties becoming districts.
In 1996 there was further reorganisation as Powys became a unitary authority and the three districts were abolished. There were some boundary alterations,
and Brynmawr (in Breconshire) was transferred to Blaenau Gwent.
For a list of our Radnorshire maps go to the Radnorshire page, or for the whole of
Wales go to the Wales page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / firstname.lastname@example.org / 28 July 2018