Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Perthshire & Kinross-shire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Perth & Kinross since 1890.
Perthshire and Kinross-shire were two of the traditional 34 Scottish
counties. In 1890 there was a general tidying up of these counties, reducing the number to 33, and removing several enclaves.
Perthshire gained an area around Coupar Angus and there were a few minor boundary changes.
From 1929 Perthshire and Kinross-shire shared a County Council.
In 1890 Perthshire had the following Burghs: Perth (a royal burgh), Aberfeldy, Abernethy, Alyth, Auchterarder, Blairgowrie, Callander, Coupar Angus,
Crieff, Doune, Dunblane, Pitlochry, Rattray. In 1930 Blairgowrie and Rattray were merged as Blairgowrie & Rattray burgh.
Auchterarder had previously been a royal burgh but lost this status by 1707. However, in 1951 its royal status was reinstated.
In 1890 Kinross-shire had the following burghs: Kinross.
In 1975 there was major reorganisation as the counties were abolished and replaced by 12 Regions. West Perthshire, including the towns of Callander, Doune and Dunblane, became part of Stirling District in Central Region.
However, the larger part of Perthshire, together with Kinross-shire, became Perth & Kinross District, one of three districts in the new Tayside Region.
In 1996 there was further reorganisation as the Regions were abolished and replaced by 32 Unitary councils. Perth & Kinross became a unitary council.
The former West Perthshire area remained within Stirling, which was also now a unitary council.
For a list of Perthshire maps go to the Perthshire page. For a full list of Scottish maps, return to the Scotland page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / email@example.com / 24 October 2016