Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Northumberland

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Ashington:

  • Northumberland Sheet 64.12 Ashington 1896 - published 1999; intro by John Griffiths. ISBN.978-1-84151-045-3

    This remarkable and highly detailed map shows the mining village of Ashington, considered a model pit village when founded in the 1860s. Ashington Colliery is in the centre of the map and and below this are the neat rows of terraces, named 'First Row' up to 'Ninth Row'. These all faced south and had long gardens. South of these are St Sepulchre's church, Portland Arms Hotel, Miners Hall and Market Place (effectively a street). To the east is the NER line with Ashington station, and beyond this the map covers part of New Hirst. However, the notable feature of this map is the tramway system, a network of track which was ultimately around ten miles long which served virtually every street and house, horse drawn trucks delivering coal and collecting refuse and night soil. These tracks are shown here in detail, both in Ashington and New Hirst. On the reverse we include part of sheet 65.09, extending coverage eastward to Woodhorn Colliery.


    Follow this link for a complete list of our Northumberland maps.

    You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.


    Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for the North East, return to the North East page.

    The Godfrey Edition / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 26 October 2016