Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Monmouthshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Monmouthshire or Gwent since 1889.
Following local government reorganisation, Monmouthshire was replaced by the new county of Gwent in 1974.
Monmouthshire County Council was created in 1889. From 1894 a network of boroughs, urban district councils and rural district councils was formed.
The more urban areas were covered by Boroughs or Urban Districts. Boroughs had the right to appoint mayors and aldermen; they generally had more
prestige and many larger urban districts aspired to become boroughs. Beneath them rural districts replaced the local boards. Though their powers gradually increased, they replaced Sanitary Boards and in the early days
generally met at the local Workhouse, and often shared the Union's officials.
The following towns were Municipal Boroughs in or before 1836: Monmouth, Newport. Abergavenny became one in 1899.
Newport became a County Borough in 1891, making it relatively autonomous.
The county had 20 urban districts from 1894: Abergavenny (a borough from 1899), Abercarn, Abersychan*, Abertillery, Bedwas & Machen, Bedwellty, Blaenavon, Caerleon, Chepstow,
Ebbw Vale, Llanfrechfa Upper*, Llantarnam,*, Mynyddislwyn, Nantyglo & Blaina, Panteg*, Pontypool, Rhymney, Risca, Tredegar, and Usk UDCs.
Those marked * were abolished in 1935. Llanfrechfa Upper and Llantarnam were largeley merged into a new Cymbran UDC.
The county had 6 rural districts: Abergavenny, Chepstow, Magor, Monmouth, Pontypool, St Mellons. In 1935 Magor UDC and St Mellons UDC were merged into a new Magor & St Mellons UDC.
In 1974 there was major reorganisation and all boroughs, urban districts and rural districts were abolished.
Monmouthshire was replaced by Gwent, a 2-tier council with a county council and 5 districts: Blaenau Gwent, Islwyn, Monmouth, Newport, and Torfaen.
In 1996 Gwent Council Council was abolished and the county was divided into 5 unitary authorities: Blaenau Gwent County Borough, Caerphilly County Borough, Monmouthshire, Newport County Borough, and Torfaen County Borough.
Gwent remained a ceremonial council, now including parts of former Glamorgan.
In 2002 Newport was awarded city status.
For a list of our Gwent or Monmouthshire maps go to the Monmouthshire page. A full list of our maps for Wales
is given here.
Most maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile.
They cost just £ 3.00 each (Coloured editions £ 3.50).
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / email@example.com / 24 November 2017