Old Ordnance Survey Maps of County Durham
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
They are available through our On-line Mapshop
Here are the details of maps for Brandon & Langley Moor:
Co Durham Sheet 26.08 Langley Moor & Brandon Colliery 1897 - published 1997; intro by David Butler. ISBN.978-0-85054-915-7
This very detailed map covers the pit villages of Langley Moor and Brandon Colliery. The NER main line, Bishop Auckland Branch and Dearness Valley Branch all run through the map -
the latter two are now cycle-ways and paths. The two villages are shown in detail, with houses, outhouses etc though their collieries are off this map (see Meadowfield
map). However, at the north of the map is Broompark Colliery, while the disused Boyne Colliery and Brandon Colliery coke ovens are on this map.
The map extends eastward to Langley Grove and Stonebridge Mill. On the reverse we include a good extract from the 1915 revision of the map, showing the development
of the two pit villages; a new Pithouse Wagonway has been opened from Brandon Junction.
The map links up with Sheets 27.05 Durham City (South) to the east, 26.12 Meadowfield to the south.
Follow these links for lists of our Co Durham, Gateshead or Sunderland maps.
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile.
For a full list of maps for the North East, return to the North East page.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / email@example.com / 14 Sept 2016