Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Lancashire

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Higher Blackley:

  • Lancashire Sheet 96.11 Higher Blackley 1915 - published 2008; intro by Chris Makepeace. ISBN.978-1-84784-134-6

    This detailed map covers what was still a semi-rural area north of Manchester. Coverage stretches along the Rochdale Road and Manchester New Road, and westward to Higher Blackley. A distinct community at Crab Lane is shown, with St Andrew's church, Fox Hole Farm, Fox Holes, Plane Trees and other outlying farms. Streets are being developed along the newly built Victoria Avenue and other features include Convent of the Good Shepherd (at top of map), Alkrington Colliery (disused), Plant Hill, tramways, Blackley Rectory, Blackley Steel Works, Pike Fold Cottages. On the reverse we include extracts from a 1917 street directory, incl Chapel Lane, Crab Lane, Heaton Park Road, Nelson Road, Victoria Avenue.

    The map links up with Sheets 96.10 Heaton Park to the west, 96.15 Blackley to the south.


    Follow this link for a complete list of our Manchester maps.

    You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.


    Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for the North West, return to the North West page.

    The Godfrey Edition / godfreyedition@btinternet.com / 1 Feb 2011