Old Ordnance Survey Maps of County Durham
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
They are available through our On-line Mapshop
Here are the details of maps for Lanchester:
Co Durham Sheet 19.05a Lanchester 1895 - published 1997; intro by Carolyn Ball. ISBN.978-0-85054-923-2
Co Durham Sheet 19.05b Lanchester 1915 - published 2017; intro by Neil Gander. ISBN.978-1-78721-039-4
This very detailed map covers Lanchester, once a significant Roman centre - Longovicium - now largely an attractive commuter village
The map covers the village centre and the area to the east. Features (on the 1915 map) include village with individual buildings shown, All Saints church,
Workhouse and Hospital, Front Street, Crow Hall, Peth Bank, Alderdene House, railway with Lanchester station, Pethlane Head Quarries, Manor House, High Burnhopside. To the
east are several pits of Malton Colliery including Manorhouse Drift, Mercie Drift, Hutton Drift. A 1906 directory of Lanchester is included on the reverse.
Follow these links for lists of our Co Durham, Gateshead or Sunderland maps.
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile.
For a full list of maps for the North East, return to the North East page.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / email@example.com / 28 Feb 2017