Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Glasgow and Lanarkshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Glasgow and Lanarkshire since 1890.
Lanarkshire was one of Scotland's 34 traditional counties and was unaffected by the
reorganisation to 33 counties in 1890. The county included Glasgow in the north, and Biggar and Lanark further south. The county town was Hamilton.
In 1890 Lanarkshire had the following Burghs: Glasgow (royal burgh), Lanark (royal burgh), Rutherglen (royal burgh), Airdrie, Biggar, Coatbridge, Hamilton, Hillhead,
Kinning Park, Maryhill, Mothwerwll, Partick, Wishaw. East Kilbride and Bishopbriggs became burghs in 1963 and 1964 respectively. Motherwell and Wishaw were merged as Motherwell & Wishaw burgh in 1912.
The following were absorbed by Glasgow: Hillhead, Maryhill (both 1891), Kinning Park (1905), Partick (1912). Glasgow also absorbed Govan and Pollokshaws burghs from Renfrewshire in 1912.
In 1893 Glasgow became a County of the City, and so independent of Lanarkshire CDounty Council.
In 1975 there was major reorganisation as the counties were abolished and replaced by 12 Regions. Lanarkshire was merged with Ayrshire, most
of Argyll, Bute, Dunbartonshire and Renfrewshire to form Strathclyde Region.
Beneath the region in a three-tier structure were 6 sub-regions, to some extent based on the old counties. These were: Argyll, Ayr, Dunbarton,
Glasgow, Lanark, and Renfrew.
Most sub-regions were further divided into districts. That for Glasgow was simply Glasgow district. Those for Lanarkshire were
Cumbernauld & Kilsyth, East Kilbride, Hamilton, Lanark, Monklands, and Motherwell, plus part of Strathkelvin.
Lanark was renamed Clydesdale in 1980.
In 1996 there was further reorganisation as the Regions were abolished and replaced by 32 Unitary councils. The large Strathclyde was
split up into 12 unitary councils: Argyll & Bute, East Ayrshire, East Dunbartonshire, East Renfrewshire, City of Glasgow, Inverclyde, North Ayrshire, North Lanarkshire,
Renfrewshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, and West Dunbartonshire. The name Strathclyde was retained for some bodies, such as the fire brigade.
Glasgow unitary council was formed from the former Glasgow district/sub-region.
Rutherglen and Cambuslang were transferred from Glasgow to South Lanarkshire.
Bishopbriggs became part of East Dunbartonshire.
North Lanarkshire was formed with the amalgamation of Motherwell, Monklands and Cumbernauld & Kilsyth district from Strathclyde region. Apart from Lanarkshire it includes areas from the former
Dunbartonshire and Stirlingshire counties. Major towns include Coatbridge and Motherwell.
South Lanarkshire was formed with the amalgamation of Clydesdale, East Kilbride and Hamilton districts. It includes a large area of the former Lanarkshire.
Major towns include Biggar, East Kilbride, Hamilton and Lanark.
For a list of Glasgow and Lanarkshire maps go to the lanarkshire page. For a full list of Scottish maps, return to the Scotland page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / email@example.com / 24 October 2016