Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Sunderland

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Newbottle:

  • Co Durham Sheet 13.12 Newbottle, Philadelphia & New Herrington 1895 - published 2017; intro by Alan Godfrey. ISBN.978-1-78721-065-3

    This very detailed map covers the village of Newbottle and, to the north, the pit villages of Philadelphia and New Herrington. Eastward it includes Herrington Hill.

  • Features include Newbottle village, with individual buildings neatly shown, St Matthew's church, chapels, quarries; Philadelphia with Dorothea Pit; New Herrington with Lambton Engine Works, Lambton Railway, New Herrington Hotel, St Aidan's churh.
  • We include extracts from Whellan's 1894 directory for Newbottle and Herrington parishes.

    The map links up with Sheet 13.11 Shiney Row to the west, 13.16 Houghton le Spring to the south.


    Further information:

    Newbottle, a conservation area, since 1975, is an attractive village at the edge of the Sunderland countryside. Newarby is Philadelphia, a colliery village which was once the site of the Dorothea Pit, and of major railway workshops. The Dorothea Pit, one of the 'Newbottle Collieries', was sunk in 1811, but an earlier pit had been developed by John Newsham in 1774, and a small shanty town developed around it. The owner named it Philadelphia, reflecting his support for the American War of Independence. The railway workshops continued until the late 20th century and closure only came in 1989. The village is also notable as home to Margaret Wheatley, remembered in the 'Margaret Wheatley Cross' awarded by the RSPCA for bravery; her grave is in the local cemetery, just off this map.

  • A selection of photos taken during the research for this map. Click on the thumbnails for larger images:

    .

  • Here is a small extract from the Newbottle 1895 map:

  • Each map includes a specially written essay about the area. Here is a short extract from the introduction to the Newbottle 1895 map:

    "Newbottle village is pleasant to look at and could well have developed into a small market town had it not been for the development of coal mining nearby albeit not so near as to engulf it. The pits here were collectively known as Newbottle Collieries, as noted in the margin, and the lease was taken by John Hylton, of Hylton Hall, and John Nesham 1789 in 1734. Coal was being produced by 1750 from the Success Pit and over the next few years four more pits were opened, each named after his daughters Jane, Elizabeth (or Betty), Margaret or sister, Mary. These pits are all just off our map. Names were important to John Nesham, and when the usual collection of shanties, workshops, sheds and houses sprang up around a new shaft sunk in 1774, he named the community Philadelphia. This reflected his support for the American War of Independence, and a couple of years later he name another pit village, just W of this map, Bunker Hill after the battle."


  • Follow this link for a complete list of our Sunderland maps.
  • You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
  • Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for the North East, return to the North East page.
    The Godfrey Edition / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 25 October 2017