Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Derbyshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Derbyshire since 1889.
Derbyshire County Council was formed in 1889, and in 1894 a network of boroughs, urban district and rural district councils was formed across the county.
Derbyshire had two Municipal Boroughs dating back to 1836 (or before): Chesterfield and Derby. Derby became a County Borough in 1889. Glossop became a Municipal Borough in 1866, Ilkeston in 1887, and Buxton in 1917.
From 1894 there were also 26 Urban Districts: Alfreton, Alvaston & Boulton, Ashbourne, Bakewell, Baskow & Bubnell, Belper, Bolsover, Bonsall,
Brampton & Walton, Buxton, Clay Cross, Dronfield, Fairfield, Heage, Heanor, Long Eaton, Matlock, Matlock Bath & Scarthin Nick,
New Mills, Newbold & Dunston, North Darley, Ripley, South Darley, Swadlincote, Whittington, and Wirksworth Urban Districts. Urban Districts had similar powers to
Municipal Boroughs but lacked the right to elect mayors or aldermen.
Several urban districts were subsequently merged or absorbed. Newbold & Dunston and Whittington UDs were merged as Whittington & Newbold UD in 1911.
Buxton and Fairfield UDs were merged and became Buxton Municipal Borough in 1917. Matlock and Matlock Bath & Scarthin Nick UDs were merged as The Matlocks UDC in 1924.
In 1934 North Darley and South Darley UDs were absorbed The Matlocks UD, which was renamed simply Matlock UD; Bonsall UD was absorbed the following year. Also in 1934,
Alvaston & Boulton UD was abolished and absorbed by Shardlow Rural District, Baslow & Bubnell UD was absorbed by Bakewell UD, Heague UD was absorbed by
Ripley UD. Reorganisation continued into 1935, when Brampton & Walton UD was abolished and absorbed by Chesterfield Rural District.
Two new urban districts were Staveley UD (1935) and Whaley Bridge UD (1936).
There were also 16 Rural District Councils covering the areas outside the major towns, but these had less powers. Initially most were based on the Unions, met at the Workhouse, and had the Guardians serving as councillors.
These were: Appleby (absorbed by Ashby de la Zouch RDC, Leics, in 1897), Ashbourne, Bakewell, Belper, Blackwell, Chapel en le Frith, Chesterfield, Clowne, Croxall (absorbed by Tamworth RD, Staffs, in 1895),
Glossop Dale*, Hartshorn & Seals*, Hayfield*, Norton*, Repton, Shardlow, and Sudbury* Rural Districts. Those marked * were absorbed by adjacent councils in 1934.
Shardlow RD was renamed South East Derbyshire Rural District in 1959.
In 1974 major reorganisation saw the boroughs, urban districts and rural districts abolished as Derbyshire adoped a two-tier local government
structure, with a County Council and 9 District Councils:
Amber Valley, Bolsover, Chesterfield, Derby, Derbyshire Dales, Erewash, High Peak, North East Derbyshire, and South Derbyshire Districts.
Derby became a City in 1977.
In 1997 the City of Derby became a unitary authority, but remained in Derbyshire for ceremonial purposes. The administrative headquarters for Derbyshire is now Matlock.
For a list of Derbyshire maps go to the Derbyshire page. For a full list of English maps, return to the England page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / firstname.lastname@example.org / 25 November 2016