Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Denbighshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Denbighshire since 1889.
Denbighshire County Council was formed in 1889, and in 1894 a network of boroughs, urban district and rural district councils was formed across the county.
Denbighshire had 2 Municipal Boroughs dating from 1836: Denbigh, and Ruthin. Wrexham became a municipal borough in 1857 and Colwyn Bay in 1934.
From 1894 there were also 3 Urban Districts: Abergele & Pensarn, Colwyn Bay & Colwyn, and Llangollen UDCs. Urban Districts had similar powers to boroughs but lacked the
powers to appoint mayors or aldermen.
Colwyn Bay & Colwyn UDC was renamed Colwyn Bay UDC in 1926 and became a borough in 1934. Abergele & Pensarn was renamed Abergele in 1935.
There were also 8 Rural District Councils covering the areas outside the major towns. These were: Chirk, Llangollen, Llanwrst, Llansillin, Ruthin, St Asaph (Denbigh),
Uwchaled, and Wrexham RDCs. Most Rural Districts were initially based on the Poor Law Unions, with meetings held at the workhouse.
In 1935 the rural districts were reorganised into five: Aled, Ceiriog, Hiraethog, Ruthin, and Wrexham RDCs. Chirk, Llangollen, Llanwrst, Llansillin, St Asaph (Denbigh) and Uwchaled RDCs were abolished.
In 1974 major reorganisation saw the boroughs, urban and rural districts abolished and Denbighshire become part of a new county, Clwyd. This was an
amalgamation of Denbighshire and Flintshire, together with Edeirnion RDC from Merionethshire. The former Llanwrst RDC became part of Aberconwy District in Gwynedd.
Clwyd was a 2-tier administration with six local government districts: Alyn & Deeside;
Colwyn; Delyn; Glyndwr; Rhuddland; and Wrexham Maelor, which included the Maelor area of Flintshire.
In 1996 Clwyd was abolished as an administrative county (though it retained a ceremonial function) and four new unitary councils formed.
These were: Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, and Wrexham County Borough. The new Denbighshire covered a substantially different area from the historic county.
Conwy included the former Gwynedd district of Aberconwy; this had been formed in 1974 from Llanwrst RDC from Denbighshire, and Conwy municipal borough,
Betws-y-Coed, Llandudno, Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr UDCs, and Nant Conwy RDC from Caernarvonshire. Much of the former Colwyn was also transferred and these now formed a new unitary council,
Aberconwy & Colwyn, immediately renamed Conwy County Borough.
In 2003 Conwy was transferred from the ceremonial county of Gwynedd to Clwyd.
Denbighshire itself now included Prestatyn, Rhyl and St Asaph from Flintshire.
Wrexham became Wrexham County Borough and included the former Maelor area from Flintshire.
For a list of our Denbighshire maps go to the Denbighshire page, or for the whole of
Wales go to the Wales page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / email@example.com / 6 January 2018