Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Berwickshire
This page summarises the local government organisation of Berwickshire since 1890.
Berwickshire was one of Scotland's 34 historic counties before 1890, and it was unchanged by the general reorganisation to 33 counties that
took place that year. Berwick-upon-Tweed was lost to England in the 15th century so Greenlaw became the county town.
After a peripod of uncertainty and dispute, Duns became the official county town in 1903.
In 1890 Berwickshire had the following Burghs: Lauder (a royal burgh), Coldstream, Duns, Eyemouth.
In 1975 there was major reorganisation as the counties were abolished and replaced by 12 Regions. Berwickshire was amalgamated with
Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire and Selkirkshire into the new Scottish Borders Region.
This was a two-tier council, with four districts: Berwickshire, Ettrick & Lauderdale, Roxburgh, and Tweeddale. Berwickshire became the new
Berwickshire District but Lauder and its surrounding area was transferred to Ettrick & Lauderdale.
In 1996 there was further reorganisation as the Regions were abolished and replaced by 32 Unitary councils. Scottish Borders became a unitary
council and the districts were abolished. Five committee areas were formed, and the former Berwickshire District area became the Berwickshire committee area.
For a list of Berwickshire maps go to the Berwickshire page. For a full list of Scottish maps, return to the Scotland page
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
Minor changes are not listed here, but please advise us of any significant errors or omissions.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388
The Godfrey Edition / firstname.lastname@example.org / 12 November 2016